Our applications work on a Linux operating system, which carries a GPL license, and for which no license fees are necessary. The relational database management system is Informix, a product of the one of the largest IT companies in the world – IBM.
Linux is easily integrated into any network environment and can seamlessly interconnect with Microsoft Windows. On the other hand, besides being essentially free, Linux is much more stable and can spend months, if not years without even rebooting the system. The fact that nearly 80% of the world’s internet servers are Linux and Unix based, proves this.
Advantages of Web-based Applications are many, but we would like to point out some of them:
- No special configuration or changes are need on users PCs.
- Lower costs.
- Centralised data is secure and easy to backup.
- Updates can be made quickly and easily.
- Information is accessible anywhere in the world.
- Access time – 24 hours a day, 7 days a week.
- Everybody has a browser. Familiar interface encourages use.
- Online training can be completed at user’s own time and pace.
- Always up-to-date.
The back-end of the application usually consists of Apache web-server and DB2, Informix or MySQL RDBMS.
All applications are multi-lingual, and a translation of another language can be easily introduced.
Access to the data is restricted on role-based security, and the system automatically logs every access and data operation by user, timestamp and workstation.